INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY: Volunteer Community Outreach Intern (Summer 2019)
Utah Clean Energy works to stop energy waste, create clean energy, and build a smart energy future. Our vision for the future is healthy, vibrant communities for all, empowered and sustained by clean energy. We are looking for a smart, enthusiastic, and outgoing individual to help us engage individuals and families in energy-saving programs through community outreach events.
The Volunteer Community Outreach Intern will:
- Assist Utah Clean Energy staff with outreach at and coordination of public-facing and community events.
- Attend community events on nights/weekends to represent Empower SLC and Utah Clean Energy. This will require an individual to discuss the Empower SLC program, mission of the organization, and how community members can get involved.
- Preparation and organization of materials and activities prior to community events.
- Accompanying Utah Clean Energy staff to meetings with community partners to discuss opportunities to conduct outreach in their respective communities.
- Assist with social media content drafting, such as helping craft creative posts to highlight program activities, and creative promotional materials, such as fliers and other promotional items
The Successful Candidate:
- Possesses a passion for environmental and/or energy-related issues
- Works collaboratively with team-members and community partners
- Is confident, well-spoken, and enjoys interacting with community members. Candidates who are comfortable with conversational Spanish would be very welcome and a great asset at many of our community events.
- Is able to attend community events on evenings and weekends.
- Has access to reliable transportation (public or personal) that can assist in bringing tabling materials to and from community events.
Tangible benefits from working as a community work intern:
- Opportunity to network with a large number of community partners, including non-profits, schools, community organizations, city officials, and others that work on a multitude of topics relating to climate, energy, sustainability, and weatherization.
- Learn how to confidently communicate strategic messaging to a variety of community members in a way that is most relevant to them.
- Opportunity to attend meetings, observe, and participate in program planning processes.
- Learn about the impacts of energy efficiency and collective action.
Hours and Compensation:
- The position is an unpaid volunteer internship, although a small stipend ($500) will be provided, as well as mileage reimbursement to and from community events.
- Scheduling is flexible, but will typically require 5-12 hours per week, depending on events in the community. Candidates will be volunteering primarily in the afternoons, evenings and weekends, throughout the summer (June 3 – September 2).